The composite material is made by combining two or more materials, some of these materials used are fiberglass, carbon fibres or carbon nanotubes. Composites made with carbon fibres are lighter and stronger than fiberglass but more expensive to produce. Carbon nanotubes are even lighter and stronger than composites made with carbon fibres but they are still extremely expensive. It has been used for making lighter cars and aircraft structures.
Robotic automation has been implemented in the composite manufacturing processes, it demands extensive experience allied with a deep understanding of the subject.
What can robotics bring to the table in the Composite manufacturing process?
- Robots are able to handle fabric sheets, lifting and placing them into a mould.
- Composite drilling and trimming of the completed structure.
- Loading and unloading the cured product.
- Material removal including grinding and sanding
- Spraying paints, varnishes and other coatings
Where do you find composite technology:
- Automotive – Chasses and components
- Communications – Satellite antennas
- Aerospace & Defense – Aircraft interiors, flooring, cargo liners
- Alternative Energy – Wind turbine blades
- Sports Equipment – Helmets, boat hull components
- Consumer Goods – Medical device components, seatbacks
The Composite bonding and finishing processes are inevitably repetitive, dull and the environment along with the materials used potentially hazardous. The Implementation of robotic systems for these operations protects workers whilst also greatly improving quality and consistency of product.
The new Airbus A380, the world’s largest passenger airliner, makes use of modern composites in its design. More than 20 % of the A380 is made of composite materials, mainly plastic reinforced with carbon fibres. The design is the first large-scale use of glass-fibre-reinforced aluminium, a new composite that is 25 % stronger than conventional airframe aluminium but 20 % lighter.
Phoenix Control is present in all industries helping our customers to get the most out of their business. We contribute and support our customers with our highly experienced staff in Control Systems and robotic automation. The main advantage of modern composite materials is that they are lighter and stronger than others materials.
Contact Us to help you in your own project or we can put in direct contact with one of our client if you want to know more about composite materials. Our customer’s success is our success.